John has been practicing law in Dallas since 1976. His practice is devoted to estate planning, probate administration, trusts and guardianships. He has been Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1981.
John was the Trusts and Guardianships instructor in the Southern Methodist University, Legal Assistant Certificate Program from 1981 until 1992, and has written and spoken on Texas probate law and issues for the National Business Institute, Inc. He has given presentations for the Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, various sections of the Dallas Bar Association and church and business groups.
In 1993, he chaired the subcommittee of the Probate Code Committee of the Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section of the State Bar responsible for rewriting the law concerning intestate distribution of community property. He is a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine since 2004.
Education and Military
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana – Bachelor of Arts, 1968
- United States Air Force – Captain, pilot, instructor pilot and classroom instructor, 1968 – 1973
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas – Juris Doctor, 1975
Professional Activities & Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, 1976
Board Certified, Estate Planning and Probate Law, 1981
Re-certified, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011
- Dallas Bar Association, Probate, Trusts and Estates Section
Pro Bono Committee, Chairman, 1994 – 1997
Member of Section Council, 1997 – 1999
- The Dallas Estate Planning Council
Board of Governors, 1994 – 1995
Law Related Writing & Speaking
- Southern Methodist University, Legal Assistant Certificate Program
Trusts and Guardianships instructor, 1981 – 1992
- National Business Institute, Inc.
author/speaker, Basic Probate In Texas, 1992
author/speaker, Texas Probate: Beyond the Basics, 1994
- Probate Code Committee of Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
chair of subcommittee responsible for revision to §45 of Texas Probate Code (intestate distribution), 1993
- Dallas Bar Association, Pro Bono Projects, Inc.
speaker, Alternatives to Guardianship, 1994
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
speaker, Presentation On Wills, 2000
- Various presentations to church and business groups